March 24 & 25, 2017 at AIA Headquarters in Washington DC.
Design professionals will learn skills and methods to pro-actively engage in community-based design through fee-based practice. Instructors and special guest speakers will present in-depth case studies of the community and client engagement processes and the outcomes of their award-winning Public Interest Design projects. Successful completion of this two-day intensive Public Interest Design Institute qualifies attendees for 11.5 AIA (HSW) CEUs or ASLA PDHs and certification as a SEED Professional. Preliminary agenda.
Learning objectives include:
- Finding new clients and public interest design projects
- Learning about new fee sources and structures
- Learning methods of working with a community as a design partner
- Leveraging other partners and assets to address project challenges
- Maximizing a project’s positive impact on a community
- Moving beyond LEED to measure positive social, economic, & environmental impact
- Understanding public interest design and how it is re-shaping professional practice
This two-day intensive course is presented by Design Corps, the SEED Network,
AIA National, and the M.S. in Sustainable Design Program at the CUA.